10 Reasons to Use Facebook for Business
Social networking websites, especially Facebook, have significant implications for business owners, marketers, and entrepreneurs around the world. To keep your business current, you should at least be familiar with the latest conversational marketing techniques and viral technologies, including Facebook and its array of powerful features.
Here are ten reasons to be active on Facebook:
1. Meet your peers. Facebook is not just for college kids anymore. Members are typically older and more mature than on other sites, and there are more white collar users.
2. Find business contacts. Facebook reached more than 200 million active users in April 2009, and is predicted to overtake MySpace in the United States by January 2010, not only are your friends on Facebook, so are your prospects, your customers, your JV partners… and, of course, your competitors. You need to be on too.
3. Instant gate opener. Facebook members are open to connecting. You can easily begin a dialog with highly successful—even famous—people who were previously otherwise unreachable.
4. Build relationships. By engaging in conversations with your prospects and customers, you can better adapt your marketing and business services to meet their needs.
5. Raise visibility. By consistently showing up, posting relevant information, and being a thought leader, you can increase visibility and credibility as an expert in your area.
6. Develop your personal brand. The lines between business and personal have become blurred. You can reveal as much or as little about yourself as you wish, allowing you to personalize your brand.
7. Target your niche. Users volunteer vast amounts of information about themselves that you can readily access. These kinds of demographics, psychographics, and technographics would previously have cost fortunes to access. Author, John Battelle, calls Facebook a “database of intentions.”
8. Get rapid top Google placement. Create a Page for your business and ‘‘push” information to your “fans.” Pages (for business) and Profiles (for personal) are indexed for optimal search engine positioning. Facebook has a PageRank of 3/10, and an Alexa Rank of 4.
9. Place targeted ads. With Facebook Social Ads, you can test out extremely targeted advertising for minimal cost.
10. No cost marketing. Aside from paid ads, Facebook is totally free to use and with regular activity you’ll end up with more traffic, more subscribers, and more paying clients.
Mari Smith graduated from Money & You in May 1999, and from Business School for Entrepreneurs in June 1999. She is a Social Media Keynote Speaker, Consultant & Trainer. She offers a free introductory class for professionals on how to use Facebook for strategic business growth at: http://whyfacebook.com. Class materials include guides, how-to videos, discussion forum, and dozens of interviews with successful active Facebook members.